Israeli warplanes launch airstrikes in Gaza after rocket attacks as air raid sirens send thousands running for cover

By Aliki Kraterou

ISRAELI warplanes have launched a series of airstrikes in Gaza in retaliation after a rocket attack.

The hit in the coastal city of Ashkelon activated air raid sirens and sent thousands of residents running for cover to bomb shelters.

Twitter

Israel launched airstrikes in Gaza[/caption]

Twitter

The strike came after a rocket attack in Ashkelon[/caption]

AFP

Smoke can be seen rising from the struck target sites[/caption]

The Israeli military said the rocket was intercepted by the aerial defence system.

There were no immediate reports of casualties in Gaza or Israel.

No Palestinian group claimed responsibility for the rocket fire but the Israeli military blamed Hamas.

Just hours later Israeli aircraft launched airstrikes on four military sites in Gaza.

READ MORE ON ISRAEL

NUKE THREAT

Nuclear war fears as Iran ‘dangerously close to getting NUKES’, Israel warns

GUNNED DOWN

Israeli troops accused of ‘assassinating’ US journalist shot dead in West Bank

“In response to the rocket attack, Israel Defence Forces aircraft struck a number of Hamas terror targets in the Gaza Strip,” the Israeli military said in a statement.

Dramatic footage showed plumes of smoke and fire rising from the targeted camps in the central and northern Gaza Strip.

Qassem said Saturday’s Israeli air strikes were a “helpless attempt to end the revolutionary actions spreading across Palestine”.

The strike comes after nearly two months of relative calm in the area in contrast to soaring tensions in the occupied West Bank.


On Friday, Israeli troops killed three Palestinian gunmen in the city of Jenin, where military raids have been stepped up after men from the area carried out several lethal street attacks in Israel.

Hamas said one of the gunmen was among its members, while another militant group that draws on members of the Palestinian faction Islamic Jihad claimed the dead gunmen as its own.

Also on Friday, an Israeli observation balloon crashed and fell in the northern Gaza Strip.

The Israeli military said it was investigating the incident.

The surge of violence in the West Bank continues with the Israeli military carrying out nearly daily raids after a string of attacks killed 19 people in Israel.

Read More on The Sun

99 FOR A FIVER

Britain’s most expensive 99 ice cream is being sold for a FIVER

POONAMI

My flat was flooded with my neighbour’s poo – there was used loo roll everywhere

And last month Israel was accused of “assassinating” US Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Aqleh who was reporting from the occupied area.

The 51-year-old was covering unrest in the Jenin refugee camp when she was shot dead and Israel has claimed it was “likely” it was Palestinian gunfire that killed her.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?

Email us at exclusive@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours

Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.

Source: Israeli warplanes launch airstrikes in Gaza after rocket attacks as air raid sirens send thousands running for cover

Category: News, World News